The Screening Strategy
Molecular taxonomy studies have revealed that the diversity of the actinomycetes in the Trondheim fjord is surprisingly huge.
- Samples from sediment, sea surface layer and sponges harvested from the Trondheims fjord.
- Strain collection: 8500 actinonmycete isolates.
High-Throughput Sreening for bioactivity - robotic assays with huge capacity.
- Fully automated screening using SINTEF robotic HTS - platform
- Measurement of cell viability (ATP-content)
- Huge capacity (> 90.000 wells per week)
- High accuracy (average CV in control wells ~ 6 %).
‘Hit’ Purification and Validation:
Production and analysis
Re-screening of purified ‘hits’
Molecular structure elucidation
In vitro efficacy screening, testing vs an extended selection of pathogenic bacteria and/or cancer cell lines
In vivo testing of activity and toxicity